121 South Street
Feilding
Manawatu, New Zealand

Phone: (06) 323 6401
Email:  Feilding Archive

 


Home Writer's Fund Catalogues That's Interesting 
 

Feilding Athletics, Victoria Park, 1910

 

Feilding Salvation Army "Silver" Band, 1918

The 1918 flu pandemic arrived in New Zealand just as WW1 was drawing to a close and in its wake left approx 9,000 people dead in 2-3 months.  The Sally Army Band played hymns in the streets and at several institutions, which was appreciated by the sick and bereaved.  The band in this photo played at the unveilings of some of the local WW1 memorials.                                             

FI 2011.150.227

   
Boxing Day 1905

Celebrating at the "Oval" at Victoria Park. Among the group are Hector Booth, Mayor Jas Trewin, Bill Reid, and Mr Stunnell.   If you can help with names for the other two, please email us the details.

FDCA 2019.372.905

   
Feilding Personalities c1908

Seated on the back of a truck from the Feilding Carrying Co fleet, are the movers and shakers of Feilding and Districts at the time. 

* Front row: H. Stewart (driver) E. J. Wackrill, Mr Phillips (Mgr of B&A), F. Aranui (proprietor of the
  Feilding Star).

* 2nd row: J. E. Barltrop, Mr Read, A. H. Sutton, and the (unnamed) mgr of the Union Bank.

* 3rd row: W. Carthew, Mr Brown (of Raumai), A. R. Mayo, A. H. Atkinson.

* 4th row: Mr Montgomerie (in the boater hat), G. J. Harford (sporting the cloth cap), T. L. Mills
  (editor of the Feilding Star).

* 5th row:  William Bramwell (standing), G. J. Fitzpatrick, David Pryde Snr, and Murray Copestake.

 

FDCA 2019.372.909

Walking Challenge 1912

In 1912 a walking challenge was held from Feilding to Marton and return, matching those on the 'beer diet' against those on the 'peanut diet'.  Who won is not noted in our records!  If you know more about this event, please email us the details.

FDCA 2019.372.913

   

Art class underway at the Feilding Technical School which was located on the corner of Fergusson and Stafford Streets.

The building was designed by T.H. James, Architect to the Wanganui Education Board and built in 1907 by William Wilkinson. In 1919 the school was incorporated into the newly built Feilding Agricultural High School.

The top floor of this building was later removed and it remains standing as a single storey building with an attic room.

FDCA 2019.372.743

   

Manchester Street School Pupils, 1939

The 1939 class of Primer 2-3 pupils at Manchester Street School in Feilding.

We only have names for two of the girls;  Betty Doughty and June Wells [sitting at the right in the front row].  If you can put names to any of the other children, please get in touch.


FPL 2009.102.01-1

   

Feilding Volunteer Fire Brigade 1905

The Feilding Volunteer Fire Brigade was formed in 1888 with the Feilding Borough Council eventually agreeing to donate 25 annually, on the condition the money was used to sink wells in various parts of the Borough.

Feilding's first Fire Engine was purchased by Messrs. P. Thompson and A.E. Eade, in 1891. Tea meetings and a Grand Ball were held, both raising money to help with the payments for the new engine. The first blaze at which the town water was used was at Messrs. Rouse and Hurrell Carriage Builders, opposite the Drill Hall, in 1905. 

FI 2011.150.66

   

Apiti to Kimbolton Stage

Charles Max Bauer bought a line of coaches in 1898. By 1906 he was advertising as a Royal Mail coach. After her husband's death Mrs. M.K. Bauer continued to run the business. By 1917/18 the mail contract lapsed with the introduction of motor vehicles for this service. The coaches were then used for passengers and general carrying.   The Apiti-Kimbolton stage pulled by two horses, parked outside the Courthouse in Feilding.   The coach was built by Hocker & Bealing in 1912 for Mrs Bauer at a cost of 79.10.0.  Mrs Bauer is seated beside the driver [name unknown], and standing [left to right] are Norman Collingwood, Jack Younger, Fred Wells, and Fred Bealing.                                         FDCA 2019.372.473

   

Oroua River Flood, 17 April 1897

In April 1897 there was heavy flooding across the North Island from Wairoa to Woodville. The traffic and railway bridges across the Oroua River at Aorangi suffered considerably under the heavy flood waters. The approaches on the Feilding side of the river went with three short spans of the rail bridge, the iron piers resisting the force of the current remarkably well. Two spans of the Road Bridge also went, leaving six standing without any apparent damage. The two spans which were washed away stranded about a quarter of a mile away down the river. The only connection left between the two sides of the river were the railway irons and sleepers, which remained swinging in the air.

FI 2011.150.138.02

   

                                     



 



Open Thursdays, 10am to 4pm
[or by appointment]